Specasaurus.

In this list of “40 Triumphant Nicknames for People With Glasses” Specasaurus is my favorite.
 (Granted I only read that far.)
 Your promised program of letter characteristics has been interrupted by this importantissimo announcement:

“Victor and I shall be getting glasses.”

We are, apparently, myopic. Or nearsighted. Or basically if you’re six feet away, we can’t see you. Ok. Forced hyperbole, but still. Now that I’m driving it’s not considered safe to not be able to read signs ten feet away unless they’re billboards. Usually traffic signs aren’t as big as billboards. I suppose it’s never safe to not be able to read signs ten feet away, driving or not.
 So … I’m off to go spend money on glasses that I will use, and I quote le optometrist, “For sightseeing, or watching a game..” Because I totally do a lot of that kind of stuff. Ok, so maybe I’m being resentful at having to wear glasses and have my mother gloat and say, “I’ve told you a hundred times, stop reading in the dark.” and “You spend too much time on the computer.”
 Victor’s is so super excited about getting glasses it’s most baffling … I have to admit, as soon as the optometrist made me try on the right lenses, I gasped, “Normal people really see like that?!!!” Everything was so clear!
 Do you wear glasses? When did you get them? Are you myopic or hyperopic? Were you scared at the Optometrist? (He is called an optometrist, right?)

[edited] Victor’s enthusiasm is baffling because he usually is adverse to shopping for anything other than toys/stamps, and when it involves actually shopping/trying on different pairs, his interest really surprises.

20 thoughts on “Specasaurus.

1. Kassie May 11, 2012 / 2:27 am

Larissa! I have been wearing glasses for about twenty two years. My eyes are terrible 😦 I'm technically nearsighted. But I don't know how that is because I can't even see my own hand in front of my face. If I don't have my glasses on or my contacts in, I have to put something right up to my nose to see it. When I have my glasses off, lights a few feet away from me look like fireworks 🙂 And that's me trying to see the silver lining in being almost blind 🙂

Get a super cute pair that make you feel comfortable. Look at them like an accessory. Also, be proud of them 🙂 And be glad they're not coke bottles like mine! 😉

2. TangledLou May 11, 2012 / 3:49 am

The same thing happened to me this last fall! I went to the eye doctor and found out I was near sighted. It was like I had been missing a finger or two and didn't notice all these years or something. I know exactly how you feel when they put that lens up and all of a sudden it hits you how little you'be been seeing.
    Check out zennioptical.com – they have super cute, super cheap prescription glasses. I love mine. I have 3 pairs. That's how cheap they are. So you can have them to suit all your glasses moods.

3. Jewels May 11, 2012 / 1:41 pm

I got glasses at 16. They were big and round and really ugly! I hated them. I used contacts for a long time, but now I just wear glasses. Cute ones.
    My daughter has glasses, but only wears them in class at school. She doesn't like how they look. I think they're adorable.
    (I'm nearsighted, but like Kassie, I'm getting to where I have to take off the glasses to see something really close up. Soon, I'll probably need bifocals. Yuck!)

4. Susi aka Sinead May 11, 2012 / 1:52 pm

I'm probably the most myopic person you'll ever know. My right eye is terrible and without glasses there isn't much I can do. I praise God for the invention of glasses. And glasses look good. They are just not practical when you need sunglasses. And they are too expensive. But there are so many cool frames.. they will make you look good, I promise. And you'll discover things you've never seen before, LOL.
    Besides, your mother is just speaking myths that are not true. Reading in the dark or using the computer a lot does nothing to your eyes.

5. Judy May 11, 2012 / 2:46 pm

I actually look better at six feet away 🙂

6. Carolina May 11, 2012 / 3:35 pm

I got my glasses when I was in 7th grade, they were really big and today would be so out of style. I've worn contacts, but with working 12 hours shifts my eyes got too dry, so I wear glasses..all the time! I'm at the age where my vision is changing and should go to bifocals. I can read without my glasses but need them to see far away. It's a love/hate relationship with glasses

7. Kathy May 12, 2012 / 10:59 am

Your optometrist must have thought you were interesting if he told you to wear your glasses when you were “sightseeing or watching a game.” When I got my glasses as a teenager (many moons ago!), the optometrist told me to use them when I “drive or watch tv.”
    I agree with TangledLou's comment – you can get glasses to suit your mood. They are a fashion accessory now!

8. Ann May 12, 2012 / 12:12 pm

Welcome to the club! I have been wearing them since my mid 20's. I have a weird prescription – I am near sighted in one eye and farsighted with astigmatism in the other and you can imagine, a resulting lazy eye. My daughter got glasses at age 5 (I felt a little sad about that) and my son wears a patch for a lazy eye. My husband has good eyesight until recently needing reading glasses and blames they kids eye problems on my genes!

9. Larissa T. May 12, 2012 / 7:04 pm

I am getting used to them quickly. They are really not that bad! Plus I can see better, so great! 😀

10. Larissa T. May 12, 2012 / 7:05 pm

YES! Loved that analogy, haha! The more I think about it, the more I can't believe I didn't notice it before!

YAY for zennioptical.com!

11. Larissa T. May 12, 2012 / 7:06 pm

Really! Maybe I'll grow out of mine too … ?

12. Larissa T. May 12, 2012 / 7:07 pm

I'm actually liking mine. .. they're not that bad.

13. Larissa T. May 12, 2012 / 7:09 pm

Yes! Thank God for glasses!

Actually my mom and I have a really close and good relationship. It was more of a joke that I don't like to be proven wrong. Eye strain of any kind will affect your eyes, so she's right. Whether it had anything to do with my need for glasses or not, it's still not ideal.

14. Larissa T. May 12, 2012 / 7:10 pm

…yeah I understand that..one day maybe I'll think of contacts..but they seem so uncomfortable!

15. Larissa T. May 12, 2012 / 7:11 pm

Haha! Well that's basically what I'll be using them for…

And yes! for glasses as fashion accessories!

16. Larissa T. May 12, 2012 / 7:12 pm

I'm a little sad about Victor getting them so soon, too.. but who knows, maybe they'll grow out of them..?

And I have noticed, husbands seem to like to do that…

17. curlygeek04 May 13, 2012 / 6:09 pm

I started wearing glasses around 5th grade — then contacts, then Lasik. Glasses can be a pain but I have to say, seeing things well far outweighs the inconvenience of glasses or contacts. I'll be heading into reading-glasses age pretty soon which makes me nervous (not the glasses, just the idea of not being able to read). Shopping for glasses is kind of fun actually — enjoy!