A Visit to the Orphaned Wildlife Rehabilitation Society.

A couple of weeks ago mother took Victor to a bird show being held at the library. The show was hosted  by volunteers from the Delta OWL (Orphaned Wildlife Rehabilitation) Center. They specialize in caring for injured birds of prey.

On their way out Victor and Mother got a pamphlet with info and the address of the facilities.  So on our way to Vancouver yesterday, we passed by to get a closer look at the beautiful birds. (The facilities and place itself is huge!) OWL is made up mostly of volunteers and have been funded solely by the public’s donation with no government funding for over four years now. Yeah. They’re pretty cool. Oh! By the way, you can click on that link and take a virtual tour of the place and “meet” the birds!

If you’re ever in Delta, I’d definitely recommend swinging by this place for an afternoon. It was definitely worth the trip.

Sonsie the Bald Eagle.

Scooter- Western Screech Owl.

Nelson – Peregrine Falcon.

Chance – Great Horned Owl.

Stella- Red Tail Hawk.

Katie – American Kestrel.

Sarah- Barn Owl.

Flash and Curly – Bald Eagles

Demon and Daisy – Barred Owls.

While I was up front photographing and peeking through the cages, a volunteer came up the path and announced to everyone that an eagle was about to be released. If we wanted to see, we could come up to the front … Of course I wanted to see this!

The boy holding Bob (said eagle) was part of the rescue team that answered the call for help with an eagle that had fallen into a pond. He swam out to the bird and brought him back to the van. Bob was emaciated and weak. After about a month of TLC and nutritious food, Bob was healthy, strong and ready to be released into the wild.

And off he goes … safe travels Bob!

Ariel and Gunther – Peregrine Falcons.

Kermit and Serenity – Snowy Owls

Big Daddy – Bald Eagle.

We had a wonderful time and we all really enjoyed the trip.
I’ve put links on the names of all the birds if you’d like to read more about them, how they ended up at OWL and when/if they will be released.

11 thoughts on “A Visit to the Orphaned Wildlife Rehabilitation Society.

1. Molly Jo August 28, 2012 / 1:45 am

Absolutely stunning! I love the Falcon photos!

2. Journey of Life August 28, 2012 / 7:51 pm

I always intrigued by owl –perhaps I was influenced by my younger one's love of owls.

3. Winnie August 29, 2012 / 12:53 pm

Awesome organization! We have one here in NY called Green Chimneys. They do all sorts of rehab for both birds and other animals and incorporate children into the program. The children are often troubled and need a helping hand. Your photos are awesome. Loved seeing the eagle soar!

4. Tara Adams August 29, 2012 / 1:45 pm

My seven year old, Mikalh, really loved these pictures, Larissa. He made me show him the eagle over and over again and pointed out that it's a Lil'Wat bird (that's his nation–also in B.C.) Thanks for sharing. It made our morning here!

5. Larissa T. August 30, 2012 / 1:36 am

Wow that's wonderful! They help both at the same time! (:

Thanks Winnie!

6. Larissa T. August 30, 2012 / 1:37 am

Hahaha! Oh I'm so glad he enjoyed, Tara! (:

7. Ann September 2, 2012 / 3:10 am

Too many awesome birds to choose my favorite! Thanks for sharing!!!

8. Tiffanie September 4, 2012 / 5:42 am

I'm going to show this to my son tomorrow. ^Ann^ this is right up your alley! I am a huge owl fan, love owls. How cool!