View From the Roanoke Star.

We’re still in Virginia, and I’m still buried in schoolwork. Honestly, 12th grade is beating me up to a pulp. And I have to say, traveling when I have less than four months to finish up high school before the spring semester of university was probably not one of my most brilliant ideas. It’s worth it, however, on nights like last Saturday.
After a day of church meetings and events, the church youth decided to go out to the Roanoke Star. For several reasons. Because I’d never been there and apparently one simply does not come to Roanoke and not go see the star. And two because Roanoke is part of the awesome small town club like Abbotsford in which basically … everything closes at 5 on the weekends and even if anything were open, uh.. have you been to the star yet?

Anbu, Brandon, Mikey, Jasmine, Janet, Karina, Jason, Leon, Joan.
View of Roanoke, VA from the Star.
The world’s largest freestanding illuminated man-made star.

And the night was made complete by dessert.
It’s almost time to say good-bye to Roanoke,
almost time to leave the star watching over its parish.
Thanks for all the fun times, Virginia! Reality, I’m back in .. 5 … 4… 3… 2…

18 thoughts on “View From the Roanoke Star.

1. AL October 3, 2012 / 12:55 pm

I'd never heard of the Roanoke Star- it's beautiful! What is the history behind it?

2. Michelle October 3, 2012 / 1:33 pm

I told my 12th grade son to take some time to enjoy this last year, but he's in a hurry to get to college! It's worth it, but a little brutal at times. Good luck!

3. Judy October 3, 2012 / 8:21 pm

My boss's son just moved to Roanoke – – he got his first job as a nurse at the ER at one of the big hospitals there. Hope you don't meet him (at least not at the ER) 🙂

4. Ann October 3, 2012 / 10:13 pm

You are definitely having too much fun! Good luck with all your school work!!!

5. Masked Mom October 3, 2012 / 11:13 pm

I'm sure Reality is eagerly awaiting your return and I have faith that you will be able to catch up/keep up with your studies and finish on time. After all, now you have Roanoke Star Power!

6. Tiffanie October 5, 2012 / 6:49 am

Gosh, LT. I really hope my little Stella grows up to be a 12th grader that would rather go out to see a man made wonder and have some dessert with her friends than go out and get into trouble! Fingers crossed! I think I've mentioned here before, your parents need to do a guest post on how they raised you so well, so I can get some pointers! 🙂

As far as your workload, I don't know how you blog on top of everything else. Is the blog part of your studies? It should be…it's probably more writing than many seniors would do in a year. xoxo

7. Larissa T. October 5, 2012 / 5:30 pm

“In 1949, the Roanoke Merchants Association decided to kick off that year's Christmas shopping season by having a neon star built on top of Mill Mountain. Although the structure was always intended to be a permanent addition, the merchants at first weren't sure if the star should be lit year round. When the star immediately became very popular, the Chamber of Commerce and the Merchants Association decided to keep it lit all year. The Merchants Association is credited with the construction of the star, but no single person claimed credit.” The story is really cool and fun .. I got this from Wikipedia, check out the full story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Star

8. Larissa T. October 5, 2012 / 5:34 pm

Is he a cute nurse? It's probably the Carilion.. That's the biggest hospital there. . (Look at me speaking like I know all about Roanoke.) Mikey in that photo is a RN and has done a couple of clinicals at the Carilion as well..

9. Larissa T. October 5, 2012 / 5:42 pm

It isn't part of my studies per se .. but I do consider it an academic activity and I'm sure it'll be worth it later on, especially for my major.

As to Stella, I'm sure she'll be more lively than I am, Tiffanie!

10. Angelia Sims Hardy October 5, 2012 / 5:49 pm

Awe! That is SO cool. What a beautiful light to shine over the city. I know it made the outing special. It would be tough to school on the road, but really, what wonderful life experiences you are gathering. 🙂

11. Tara Adams October 7, 2012 / 1:16 am

Good for you for finding the time. You won't be sorry later.

12. Larissa T. October 8, 2012 / 12:43 am