Ah, Shepherd’s Pie. An ultimate hearty, comforting, and easy dish that shines through its simplicity. This is just one version of Shepherd’s Pie. Feel free to use this recipe as a guideline. Make your substitutions based on what you have at home. Season everything just the way you like it. Make it yours and enjoy!
- For mash:
- 1 medium yam* cleaned and chopped
- 1-2L water
- salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. cream (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast For TVP:
- 1 cup dry TVP
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili paste
- 1 tsp. salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- dash of paprika *you can use 4 large yellow potatoes or the equivalent in pumpkin/squash of choice.
- Prepare vegetables (wash, peel, chop, etc.) and set aside a deep baking dish.
- Cook yam in water until very soft.
- While it cooks, add oil to saucepan and sweat onions. Then add the carrots and 1 cup vegetable stock. Let cook.
- Add dry TVP to bowl and pour boiling water to cover. Let soak.
- To the carrot, add the garlic and red pepper. Let cook until carrots and peppers are tender, adding a second cup of stock if needed.
- In the meantime, place cooked yams in a bowl. Mash with a potato masher, leaving no lumps, and season. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add remaining ingredients to the vegetables: TVP (drained), corn, seasoning, and remaining stock. Let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Place vegetable and TVP mix at the bottom of a deep baking dish, spread evenly. Top with mashed yams and smoothen.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and paprika for garnish.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes until top begins to brown.
In a hurry? Here are some ideas:
- Use frozen veggies instead
- Reserve the water in which you cooked the potatoes to use if you don’t have vegetable stock on hand
- Use ready-to-go TVP from brands like Yves or Gardein. Use a 312g package.
- Or substitute TVP for finely diced mushrooms!
If there’s something you don’t like or don’t have, just substitute. Add some celery, a sprig of thyme or rosemary in step 3, or use cauliflower instead of yams/potatoes/pumpkins in the mash. Have fun and happy eating!